Camp Info & Schedules
*POLICY* DEBATE SPECIAL 9 DAYS SUMMER CAMP FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS:
A two-on-two debate that focuses on a policy question for the duration of the academic year, this format tests a student’s research, analytical, and delivery skills. Policy Debate involves the proposal of a plan by the affirmative team to enact a policy, while the negative team offers reasons to reject that proposal. Throughout the debate, students have the opportunity to cross-examine one another. A judge or panel of judges determines the winner based on the arguments presented.
Example: Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its non-military exploration and/or development of the Earth’s oceans.
|6th to 8th||Policy Debate (*Special Session*)||July 21, Saturday - July 29, Sunday: 10am-5pm (9 Days)||Johns Creek Campus||$700: 9 days
(optional lunch $30/wk)
*LAPTOP OR IPAD REQUIRED*
Dr. Michael Hester, Director of UWG Debate
Dr. Hester is renowned in the debating community for his achievements in coaching the very best debaters in the nation.
- Chair of District VI of National Debate Tournaments since 2009
- Chair of Cross Examination Debate Association Topic Committee
- 2017 Ross K Smith National Coach of the Year
- 2017 George Ziegelmueller Outstanding Achievement Award for lifetime achievement
Debate Tournament Coaching Achievements:
- Three teams to national championships
- Two teams to national runner-up finishes
- Two teams to national semifinalist finishes
- Four teams to national quarterfinalist finishes
- High School teams to the Elite Eight of the International Public Policy Forum contest